Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pain Perdu (a sort of stuffed french toast)

A while back, I just happened to turn on Good Things Utah (which I can usually hardly stand to even watch) and they were making my very favorite thing from Mimi's Cafe....the PAIN PERDU!!! It is a super yummy french toast stuffed with cream cheese and orange marmalade.  It is really yummy, and pretty dang easy.

One thing it doesn't mention in the recipe, but I know as a Mimi's insider is that they use "day-old bread" for the french toast. It is sometimes hard to reproduce restaurant food, but Mimi's usually won't release a recipe unless they know it is comparable so hopefully this one won't disappoint.
Pain Perdu (pronounced "Pan Per-Do")

Balboa Mix Ingredients:
12 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Orange Marmalade

Preparation:
Cut cream cheese into smaller pieces and place in mixer. Add marmalade and mix approximately 10 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides frequently.

Perdu Ingredient:
16 pieces egg-white bread

Preparation:
Trim crusts off egg-white bread; add scoop of balboa mix to center of a slice of bread. Do not press down. Top with another slice of bread to form a “sandwich.”

French Toast Batter Ingredients:
3 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup Half and Half
1 ½ TBS Sugar
¼ TSP Salt
¼ TSP Vanilla
¼ TSP Cinnamon
¼ TSP Nutmeg
Zest of ¼ Orange

Preparation: Add eggs, Half and Half, sugar and spices together and mix; add orange zest.

Grilling: Dip Pain Perdu “sandwich” in French toast batter. Cook on flat griddle to a golden brown on both sides. Slice diagonally.

For extra yumminess, add strawberries, blueberries and raspberry puree across entire center. Dust with powdered sugar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AmericKim said...

This looks great! Can't wait to try it. I'm from Grapevine, TX and now live in Australia --- really miss this treat.
BTW - Don't you hate these "Anonymous" comments that direct you to their bogus websites?!?

Cari @Reach For The Star Berries said...

Yum! I wastrying to think of somethign yummy as a treat for this Sunday for dinner. I decided on having breakfast for dinner and then thought french toast would be great. I was looking up recipes and stumbled on this. I LOVE Mimi's and their Pain Perdu. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'll be linking it in my menu plan post.

Cari @ Reach For The Star Berries
Reach For The Star Berries


Cari @Reach For The Star Berries said...

Darn. I just went to pin this recipe to my pinterest food board and I couldn't because there are no images. I'd love to offer you the suggestion of always including some small image on your page to allow people to post your great content and keep them coming back for more.

I'll have to bookmark this post so I don't lose it.

Cari @ Reach For The Star Berries
Reach For The Star Berries