INGREDIENTS*** (See below)
1 (18.25 ounce) package cake mix
1 (16 ounce) container prepared frosting
1 (3 ounce) bar flavored confectioners coating OR 1 bar of almond bark
1. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. Let cake completely cool and then crumble it into a large bowl (I do cut off the edges to make the consistency smoother)
2. Stir in the frosting until well blended with a fork.
3. Form balls about the size of a melon scooper (If you chill the mixture before forming the balls, you can use a scooper, I just don't like waiting any longer than I have to)
4. Put balls on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Chill in fridge or freezer long enough to toughen them up
5. Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
6. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.
OPTIONAL: Decorate with coconut, sprinkles, toffee, drizzled chocolate, whatever!!
***The default recipe calls for chocolate cake, chocolate frosting and chocolate coating, but mix it up all you want!
- Red Velvet cake w/cream cheese frosting dipped in chocolate
- Strawberry cake w/strawberry frosting dipped in white chocolate
- Chocolate cake w/vanilla frosting dipped in your choice of chocolate (top with a little bit of Oreos for a cookies and cream touch)
- German chocolate cake w/coconut frosting dipped in chocolate
- Strawberry cake w/vanilla frosting dipped in chocolate
- Lemon cake w/lemon frosting dipped in white chocolate
- Chocolate cake w/chocolate frosting dipped in a mint-flavored chocolate and topped with crushed Andes mints (Yummy!)
- Funfetti cake w/vanila frosting and sprinkles dipped in white chocolate and topped with more sprinkles
As you can see, the options are endless!