Sunday, December 2, 2007

W.T. Chicken Flautas

I would never claim to have the best Chicken Flautas, my dear friend Brandalee introduced me to the restaurant with that title, but I tried to make some at home and they turned out fairly good, so I thought I'd share the recipe. (Just for your info: a flauta is somewhat of a morph of an enchilada, chimichaga and rolled taco. Traditionally, they are flour tortillas, but all of the recipes I found called for corn tortillas. I never did find the perfect recipe, so I kind of made up my own and I still prefer flour tortillas.)

INGREDIENTS:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked (cubed or shredded)
2 tbls. butter
1 can chilies
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbls. flour
1 tsp. cumin
8-10 flour tortillas
cooking oil
shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees

2. Mix chicken, butter, onion and chiles in skillet and cook until onions are tender

3. Add flourm cumin salt and pepper (to taste) and broth. Mixture will thicken, set aside.

4. Pour enough oil in skillet to slightly crisp tortillas (approx. 1-2 minutes per side...you want it crispy, but soft enough to still roll up)

5. Use paper towels to soak up grease, sprinkle cheddar cheese on fried tortilla, put a heapeing tablespoon of chicken mixture and roll up

6. Place rolled up flautas on baking sheet, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 15-20 minutes

Enjoy with sour cream, guacamole and/or salsa!!

OPTION: Serve them enchilada style! Pour enchilada sauce over flautas and sprinkle with cheese before baking

3 comments:

Nikki (Have Joy) said...

Ummm...did you mean deaR friend?

Nikki (Have Joy) said...

Ummm...did you mean deaR friend?

Suz said...

Yes, I definitely meant my DEAR friend...she is definitely not dead....thanks Nik! :)