Monday, October 8, 2007

Hawaiian Beef

PREFACE: This is definitely not a White Trash Recipe, this is a little bit of heaven introduced to us while in Hawaii. My dad made a friend while he was barbequing chicken (definitely white trash style.) The guy was one of the nicest men I've ever met, and he shared some of the meat he was grilling. OH MY GOODNESS! It was amazing. He and his wife told me how to cook it, I don't know if I'll ever duplicate it, but I sure am going to try!!

The meat is just ribeye from Costco that they have the deli slice into thin pieces (I'm sure you could get Ribeye anywhere, but Costco definitely has the best meat.)

Marinade: (I don't have the measurements, so we'll just have to guess)
Shoyu (Hawaiian soy sauce) - enough to cover meat
Brown Sugar - LOTS! Like, probabl a whole cup, or more, depending on how much meat you have
Ginger - I grated 1 full fresh ginger root
Garlic (he says he uses lots of garlic)
Sesame seed oil (he said that is best on pork ribs)

The secret to marinading from our new native Hawaiian friend:
He says to leave the meat out for a few hours to get a "little slimy." Then, you marinade the meat for 1-2 days leaving it at room tempature for a couple hours at a time, then putting it back in the fridge. He says it's critical to marinade for at least a day, but 2 days is best.

I'm going to try some when I get home and I'll let you all know how it goes. He said he's going to meet us again tomorrow and bring morestuff from home to share...we told him we'd do a trade, but we don't have anything even remotely close to offer. He did share a shake and a hug from my dad when he left, though. Only in Hawaii do you hug people you just met. ALOHA!

0 comments: